Metal detectors are modern-day treasure finders.
While visiting the beach, people find relics and valuable treasures. That’s your answer to “Why are people bringing metal detectors to the beach?”
It’s amazing. You are enjoying a day on the beach, and suddenly you get some relics or antique pieces of jewelry. Sounds great, right?
Just to make the experience a lot better, there are amazing metal detectors. You can even find lost items with no hassle.
I understand that metal detectors can be a bit confusing to purchase. I mean, you don’t buy metal detectors every now and then. They are designed to work for specific purposes.
It’s obvious that people need help selecting metal detectors. I will be helping you with that today.
Now, without further ado, let’s get straight into it.
How does a Metal Detector Work? Know in 9 Easy Steps
- First, the metal detector sends out tiny signals, like invisible rays, into the ground.
- When these signals touch underground metal, something interesting happens.
- The metal gets a bit excited and sends back its own signals. It’s like metal is saying, “Hey buddy, are you looking for me?”
- The metal detector listens carefully for these signals coming back.
- If the detector hears those signals, it makes a beeping sound or flashes a light. This will tell you that there’s something metallic hiding in the ground.
- Now, it’s time to dig! You follow the beeps or lights to find where the metal might be hiding.
- As you dig, you might find a coin, a piece of jewelry, or even something really old. And now that’s your hidden treasure right there.
- Metal detectors can make different sounds or show different lights, depending on the type of metal. For example, gold might sound different from a regular coin.
- It might take a little practice to figure out the different beeps and signals, but the more you use your metal detector, the better you’ll become at finding treasures.
Types of Beach Metal Detectors
In simple terms:
- VLF detectors are effective at metal findings.
- PI detectors are effective at wider and deeper searches.
VLF (Very Low Frequency) Metal Detectors
They use a low-frequency signal to interact with metal objects. They’re like picky eaters, ignoring certain metals and focusing on specific ones, like coins and jewelry. Best suited for finding smaller items near the surface on dry sand.
What Are VLFs Good At?
- VLF detectors have discrimination settings that let users filter out specific types of metals.
- They are generally more sensitive to smaller targets, making them suitable for finding tiny items like thin gold chains or small earrings that might be buried in the sand.
- Some advanced VLF detectors come with multiple frequency options, enhancing their versatility by allowing users to adapt to different beach conditions.
- VLF detectors often have ground balance adjustments that help reduce false signals caused by mineralization in the sand or saltwater.
What Could Have Been Better?
- VLF detectors can be affected by the mineral content in the sand and water, leading to false signals and reduced depth performance in highly mineralized beach environments.
- In wet sand and saltwater, VLF detectors may struggle to achieve the same depth as they do in dry sand due to increased conductivity challenges.
PI (Pulse Induction) Metal Detectors
PI detectors send quick bursts of energy to detect metal. They’re deep divers, excelling at finding larger items buried deep down, even in mineral-rich or wet areas. Ideal for hunting bigger treasures in challenging conditions.
What PIs Are Good At?
- PI detectors are known for their ability to penetrate deeper into the sand and water, making them ideal for finding targets buried at greater depths.
- They are less affected by mineralization, allowing them to maintain stable performance in highly mineralized beach environments.
- They perform well in wet sand and underwater environments, making them a good choice for both the dry and wet parts of the beach.
- PI detectors are less sensitive to ground variations, making them suitable for beaches with varying levels of mineralization.
What Could Have Been Better?
- PI detectors generally have limited discrimination capabilities compared to VLF detectors, which means they might not differentiate well between valuable and unwanted targets.
- While PI detectors are great at detecting larger or deeper targets, they might not be as effective at finding very small or shallow items.
Reviewing The Top Metal Detectors For Beach
1. Garrett 1140900 Pro-Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector
I have been using the Garett 1140900 metal detector for a while now. I’m not going to lie, this is one of the most lucrative pieces I have gotten online.
It’s totally waterproof and you can find stuff in water by dipping the detector up to 10 feet in water.
The color is so vibrant that there’s no way it can be lost and even if it’s lost then it’s pretty noticeable because of the flashy color.
The quick retuning is pretty solid to narrow down the place to find our greater objects. It also works on all terrains.
- Fully waterproof up to 10 feet, ensuring durability underwater.
- Orange color enhances underwater visibility.
- Select from three sensitivity levels for better small target detection.
- Instantly retune with a swift button press.
- Very accurate pinpointing
- Longer battery life
- Limited color range
2. Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil
The graphic target ID cursor is like a visual guide. It helps you understand what you’ve found.
It accepts and rejects the materials found based on the configurations that you set initially before detecting.
The electronic pinpointing is quite amazing as it shows where the material is hiding exactly. It guides you to where the target is.
Speaking of digging, the continuous target depth indicator is a game-changer. It gives you an idea of how deep the item is, saving you time and effort.
You can adjust the sensitivity up to 8 different levels.
Different areas have different ground conditions. Whether you’re exploring a sandy beach or a rocky field, you can fine-tune your detector.
- The clear on-screen cursor for target identification.
- Detects specific targets and ignores undesired items.
- Locates and recovers targets with ease and in less time.
- 8 levels for adapting to different ground conditions.
- Constantly displays target depth for accurate hunting.
- User-friendly controls
- Longer battery life
- Not as durable as other metal detectors
3. Garrett ACE 300 with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Accessories
The Garett ACE 300 Metal Detector is a total package.
You are getting a submersible search coil with an ACE environmental cover-up. The cover protects the detector when not in use.
You are also getting a cover-up for the search coil as well.
The easy stow headphones that come with it give the best sound out there. You can also adjust the volume of it according to your suitability.
If you are an advanced user then it is a good option for you.
You can detect coins and jewellery. There are a total of 8 sensitivity depth adjustments making it easier to find those jewelleries deep down there.
The Digital Target ID feature shows a numerical readout for the target’s type. It helps the user understand what kind of metal the target is.
The depth indicator on the display will give you an indicator of how deep the object is buried. This will help you understand how much to dig which will save you some time.
- Submersible search coil for underwater efficiency.
- Free extras such as ClearSound headphones, ACE Environmental Cover-Up, and a Search Coil Cover.
- Enjoy crisp sound with adjustable volume control headphones.
- ACE Environmental Cover-Up protects the detector.
- Got five search modes
- Waterproof search coil
- Limited battery life
4. PalliPartners Metal Detector With LCD Display
The PalliPartners metal detector is a professional gold detector.
It comes with an LCD display. It takes very little time to set it all up.
The stem of the detector is adjustable making it easy for anyone to use it, even the kids can use it as it is adjustable according to different heights.
It has high accuracy with a waterproof pinpoint coming in five different modes. It has a 10-inch coil metal detector.
It comes with a backpack and two batteries. You can change the batteries when the juice runs out in between searching for stuff on the beach nearby water.
Speaking of the water, the 10-inch coil is waterproof, it works like a charm in shallow waters.
- Quick assembly, adjustable height. Lightweight with backpack and batteries for portability.
- All Metal, Disc, Memory, Jewelry, and Pinpointer with a wide range of metal detection.
- 10-inch waterproof coil for beach and stream hunting. (Control box not waterproof)
- Upgraded DSP chip detects coins up to 10 inches deep, with improved sensitivity.
- Real-time info on metal type, depth, sensitivity, and more.
- Includes detector, bag, sturdy shovel, headphones, and batteries.
- Long battery life
- Waterproof search coil
- Little less durable
5. Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector
The Fisher F2 is extremely user-friendly. This is one of those products where you can throw away the manual.
Yes, that easy.
The accuracy of this metal detector is remarkable. It easily distinguishes what’s valuable and what’s not so you don’t have to waste your time digging up the soil for nothing.
The weight is just around 2 pounds which makes it really comfortable in your hands plus the padded hand grip and the arm cup make me use it for hours and hours without my hand being fatigued.
- Finds jewelry, coins, and artifacts on land and in shallow water, up to nine inches deep.
- Designed for harsh conditions, suitable for all weather.
- Simple for adults, user-friendly even for children. Discrimination, sensitivity, notch, and pinpoint features simplify deep detection.
- Separates valuable targets from unwanted metals. Target Categories, numeric Target-ID (0-99), and 4-Tone Audio-ID System enhance accuracy.
- Lightweight (about 2 pounds) with padded grip and arm cup for comfortable use.
- Simple interface and is easy to use
- Long battery life
- Little less sensitive
What To Look For In A Metal Detector?
When you’re getting a metal detector, think about these important things to get the best one for you. Let’s break it down for you.
Versatility for Treasures Everywhere
You want a metal detector that can find different things like coins, jewelry, and old things. This means you can look for treasures in different places, like parks, beaches, and even old places.
Get a metal detector that can work no matter the weather. If it’s raining or sunny, you can keep searching for things and not worry about your metal detector.
Easy to Use
Look for a metal detector that’s easy to use. If it has simple buttons and settings, it’s good for both kids and adults. This means everyone can enjoy the fun of searching for hidden treasures.
A good metal detector helps you know exactly where the treasure is hiding. This is like a treasure map that shows you where to dig. So, you don’t waste time digging in the wrong spots.
Some metal detectors have different ways to search for treasure. You can pick a mode like “coins” or “jewelry,” and the metal detector will look for those things.
Comfortable to Carry and Use
Choose a metal detector that isn’t too heavy and is easy to hold. This way, your arm won’t get tired as you look for treasures. It should be comfortable in your hand when you are holding it for a prolonged period of time.
Make sure the metal detector’s batteries last a long time. This means you can go on treasure hunts for hours without the batteries running out. So, you won’t have to stop in between your search and recovery operations.
Get a metal detector that’s strong and can handle a bit of roughness. If it’s made well, it won’t break easily. This is important because you want your metal detector to last a long time.
You can use this tactical smartwatch on your treasure-hunting time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s a metal detector?
A metal detector is a special device that can find metal things hidden in the ground or underwater. It beeps or makes a sound when it finds something metal.
How does a metal detector work?
It has a coil that sends out a magnetic field. When it touches something metal, like a coin, the metal gives off a signal. The detector catches this signal and tells you by beeping.
What can I find with a metal detector?
You can find things like coins, jewelry, and even old stuff buried in the ground like you are on a treasure hunt.
Where can I use a metal detector?
You can use it in many places like parks, beaches, and old places. It’s best to check the rules before using them, especially in historical sites.
Can kids use metal detectors?
Absolutely! Some metal detectors are made just for kids. They have easy buttons and settings. It’s a fun game for everyone.
How deep can a metal detector go?
It can find things close to the surface and even a few inches deep. Some can go deeper, but it depends on the type of metal and the ground.
Can I use a metal detector when it’s raining?
Yes, if your metal detector is weatherproof. It means it can work when it’s raining, but be sure to keep the control box (the brain of the detector) dry.
Can metal detectors find gold?
Yes, some metal detectors are good at finding gold. But gold is tricky because it gives off a signal similar to other metals.
Are metal detectors heavy to carry?
Not all of them. Some are light and easy to hold. Look for one with a comfortable handle so you can use it for a long time without getting tired.
Are metal detectors expensive?
They come in different prices. Some are affordable, and some are more expensive. It depends on the features and how advanced it is.
When picking the best metal detector for the beach, remember a few things. It should work in water and handle the beach environment. A detector with a bigger search part is good because it can find things hidden in the sand.
It shouldn’t be heavy or uncomfortable to hold. It’s helpful if you can change how long it is. Look for one with buttons that are easy to understand. This helps you know if something valuable is hiding or not.
When all these things come together, your beach trips will be like exciting treasure hunts, with lots of fun discoveries waiting for you. Happy hunting.