Having wide feet and finding a pair of climbing shoes for them can be a wild experience.
Say, you are on a trekking adventure. Your friends get into places easily. You are trying to catch up.
However, your legs are killing you. You couldn’t find the perfect-sized climbing shoes and the whole experience is kind of getting ruined.
Sounds silly, right? Why wouldn’t you find the perfect pair of shoes?
Visit your local shoe store. Ask for an 11 or 12-sized pair of shoes, and observe how fast you’ll get fewer options. It’s a genuine hassle.
I use the UK 12-sized shoes and I have faced all kinds of disappointments while trying to buy a pair. This might be the major reason you are reading this article.
Okay, my fellow trekker friends with wide feet, as I have suffered enough and learned a bunch of things about climbing shoes for wide feet, I would like to help you to get a perfect pair.
So without further ado, let’s get straight into it.
7 Reasons You Need To Find The Right Pair Of Shoes For Climbing
1. Your Shoes Need to Be Comfortable
If your climbing shoes are a bit narrow then it will give you a painful experience. Climbing requires bearing weights for a long time on a small foothold and an unfit shoe can make your whole climbing a disaster.
2. It Reflects on the Performance
A fit pair can significantly improve your performance when climbing. You can precisely place your feet wherever you can without having to worry about discomfort. This will give you the proper balance.
3. You Need to Be Safe
If you have a loose shoe for climbing, then chances are that you will slip anytime. A simple mistake will increase the risk of accidents and falls.
If you have tight-fitting shoes, then you will have strains on your feet. You don’t want blisters or bruises creating messy distress, do you?
4. Prevent Foot Problems
Climbers with wide feet are more susceptible to foot-related issues such as bunions, corns, and calluses. Wearing the right climbing shoes can help alleviate pressure points and reduce the chances of having such problems.
5. You Are Not Gonna Buy Climbing Shoes Twice in a Month
A well-fitting pair of climbing shoes can last longer since the foot isn’t putting stress on the shoe’s materials. Proper fit reduces wear and tear, making sure that the shoes maintain their performance for an extended period.
6. Be Focused On The Fun, Not In The Foot
If you want to be confident while climbing, then you have to pay attention to your equipment. Your shoe has to be one of the most prominent pieces of equipment.
With shoes that fit well, you can concentrate on the route without being distracted by discomfort or any shoe-related worries.
7. Personal Interest In Adventure
Climbing with fit shoes can positively impact your interest in the adventure. When the focus shifts from dealing with shoe issues to improving climbing skills, you can go further. Also, you enjoy more and explore deeply.
Our Top Picks For The Best 7 Climbing Shoes For Wide Feet
1. La Sportiva Mens Otaki
As a climber who values precision, the Otaki has been a game-changer for me. Its P3 technology will give you the best performance fit. The S-heel construction gave me a snug and supportive fit, also giving me the confidence to tackle the challenging heel hooks.
The laser-cut uppers reduce the weight of the shoes while maintaining durability, making them a reliable companion on tough climbs.
So, if you crave precision and power, the Otaki is a top choice for your climbing adventures.
- Precision at its best, perfect for accurate climbing.
- Patented P3 technology for a high-performance fit.
- S-heel construction for a secure and powerful heel hook.
- Laser-cut uppers reduce bulk and increase durability.
- Has powerful heel hooks
- Very durable
- Longer break in period
2. SCARPA Men’s Vapor V
The Vapor V has been my go-to climbing shoe for its incredible versatility. With the Vibram XS Edge sole, I can stand on the tiniest edges, making steep terrain a breeze.
Whether I’m tackling technical boulders or vertical headwalls, the XS Edge rubber gives me top-notch performance. The microsuede upper makes sure that you get a supple fit, providing all-day comfort during long sessions.
- Has an excellent grip on thin edges.
- Ideal for technical bouldering and vertical headwalls.
- Provides support, and reduces foot fatigue on multi-pitch climbs.
- Enhances edging power, and minimizes foot discomfort.
- Precise grip on thin edges with Vibram XS Edge (3.5mm) sole.
- Supportive Flexan Dynamic midsole
- Not for aggressive climbers
3. Butora Men’s Endeavor
I have been using Butora’s Endeavor Climbing Shoes for a few weeks. The 100% Organic Hemp lining keeps them odor-free even after intense climbs. The split leather footbed gives me comfort and a secure fit as I go on tricky treks.
Plus, the breathable mesh tongue keeps my feet cool during long sessions. With the custom fit option, they stay snug on my feet no matter the terrain.
- Split leather footbed for comfort and performance.
- 3D injection molded ABS midsole for precision edging and rigidity.
- Two-piece mesh tongue for comfort and ventilation.
- Triple fork webbing ensures a personalized fit.
- 100% Organic Hemp lining for stretch and odor prevention.
- Butora NEO Fuse sticky rubber sole for excellent grip.
- Split-leather footbed wicks away moisture.
- 3D injection molded ABS midsole.
- Breathable mesh tongue for ventilation.
- Not ideal for aggressive climbing
4. Evolv Phantom Climbing Shoes
The Evolv Dark Spine S is a game-changer. The TRAX SAS rubber sole gives crazy friction on different surfaces. The AVT Plastic midsole will give you the perfect balance of sensitivity and structure.
The Compression Closure System makes sure a secure fit, keeping you worried less about slipping. The Molded VTR system reduces pressure points and will keep your feet comfortable during long sessions.
- TRAX SAS rubber for maximum friction and durability.
- AVT Plastic and TPS+ Rubber offer sensitivity and structure.
- Compression Closure System (CCS) for a secure fit.
- Molded VTR reduces pressure points and enhances durability.
- Comfort and performance without animal products.
- Powerful shape for challenging climbs.
- Weighs 9oz per shoe (size 9 US men’s), ensuring agility.
- Precise fit for technical climbs.
- Vegan-friendly with synthetic materials.
- Not for beginners.
5. Black Diamond Mens Momentum
The updated midsole of the Black Diamond will significantly improve your edging ability, giving you precise control on challenging holds.
Two Velcro straps enabled a snug and customizable fit. The 4.3mm rubber’s durability and optimal performance is impressive, with consistent tension thanks to the updated heel rubber geometry.
- Designed for both vertical climbing and all-day comfort.
- Thanks to the updated midsole, edging is now more effective.
- Two Velcro straps allow for easy and precise adjustments.
- The 4.3mm rubber provides optimal consistency and long-lasting performance.
- Soft flex midsole for heightened sensitivity and comfort.
- Entirely vegan materials, including a hemp footbed.
- The updated knit with a softer lining ensures exceptional breathability and comfort.
- Softer toe rands for improved fit and comfort.
- The updated heel rubber geometry maintains consistent tension throughout use.
- Good for vertical climbing and all-day comfort.
- Entirely vegan materials with a hemp footbed.
- Not for hard climbers.
6. Mad Rock Drone High Volume
The patented concave sole has a tremendous grip and power, you can go on tough terrains without any hassle with the Mad Rock. The downturned and twisted profile gives you precision like never before.
The stretchy and breathable tongue will keep your feet comfortable during long climbs. Opt for the high-volume version then you’ll enjoy the extra toe box and heel space. With a perfect blend of stiffness, these shoes will be a deal breaker for you!
- Patented concave rubber sole for maximum grip and power.
- Downturned and twisted profile for precision and power.
- Stretchy and breathable tongue for comfort.
- 3D expandable molded heel with climbing grade rubber for a versatile fit.
- High-volume version for a wider toe box and bigger heel cup.
- Science Friction 3.0 rubber sole for superior friction.
- Arch Flex for support and better fit.
- Vegan-friendly materials.
- Medium stiffness for a balanced feel.
- Durable with a grippy rubber sole
- High volume design
- Limited color options
7. La Sportiva Men’s Mountaineering and Trekking Shoes
The soft and precise sock lining of the La Sportiva will help you make precise moves, while the stretchiness ensures a snug fit. The P3 system’s voltage distribution and retention will significantly improve your performance.
Save your time with the Fast Lacing System with the Lock-Harness System during intense climbs. If you’re a serious climber seeking top-notch gear for competitions, this shoe is an excellent choice that won’t disappoint.
- Synthetic sole climbing footwear built for peak performance in competitions.
- The soft, precise, and stretchy sock lining ensures a comfortable and secure fit.
- P3 system optimizes voltage distribution and retention, enhancing overall performance.
- Fast Lacing System with patented Lock-Harness System provides a snug foot wrap and quick release.
- An ideal choice for climbers seeking top-notch gear for competitive climbing.
- Durable and reliable for mountaineering and trekking adventures.
- High-quality construction
- The break-in period is slightly longer
12 Things To Consider When Selecting Climbing Shoes For Wide Feet
1. Foot Shape and Width
Understand your foot shape and width by measuring both feet accurately. Few people have wide feet, while others have wider heels. Knowing your specific foot shape will help you get the right shoe.
Climbing shoe sizing can vary between brands and models. It’s essential to try on different sizes to find the best fit. Avoid choosing climbing shoes that are too tight or too loose. A snug but not overly tight fit is ideal for comfort and performance.
3. Toe Box Shape
Look for climbing shoes with a wider toe box to fit your wide feet. A rounded or square-shaped toe box gives more room for toes to spread.
4. Materials and Stretch
Consider the materials used in the climbing shoes. Leather shoes stretch and mold to the foot shape over time, which can be an advantage for you. Synthetic materials may offer less stretch and are generally more consistent in size.
Learn How to Stretch Running Shoes for Wide Feet. You will love the suggestions we talked about article.
5. Closure System
Climbing shoes come with various closure systems, such as laces, Velcro straps, and slip-on. Choose a closure system that you can adjust easily.
6. Arch and Heel Support
Look for climbing shoes with adequate arch and heel support to ensure stability and minimize foot fatigue during climbing sessions.
7. Climbing Style and Intended Use
Consider the type of climbing you’ll be primarily engaged in (e.g., bouldering, sport climbing, trad climbing). Different climbing styles may require specific features in shoes, and understanding your intended use will help you select the most suitable pair.
8. Try Before You Buy
Whenever possible, try on climbing shoes in person at a specialty climbing store. Trying on different models and sizes lets you feel the fit of the shoe.
9. Reviews and Recommendations
Research online reviews and seek recommendations from fellow climbers with wide feet. Real-life experiences can provide valuable insights into how a particular shoe performs for wider foot shapes.
10. Customization Options
Inquire about any customization options offered by climbing shoe manufacturers. Some brands provide customization services to cater to individuals with unique foot shapes or requirements.
11. Break-in Period
Consider the break-in period required for the climbing shoes. Leather shoes may stretch and become more comfortable with use, while synthetic shoes may have a more consistent fit from the beginning.
12. Return and Exchange Policy
Check the return and exchange policy of the retailer or manufacturer to make sure that you have the option to exchange the shoes if they don’t fit well after a test climb.
While wide feet may present certain challenges, the climbing community is inclusive and supportive. Remember, there is always an active community for everything.
If you are a climber with wide feet then don’t feel discouraged. There are strategies to improve footwork and overcome any obstacles. By adopting proper maintenance and care routines, you can extend the life of your climbing shoes.
Remember, the right climbing shoes are not just a mere accessory; they are the foundation of your climbing journey. So, embrace the diversity of your wide feet, and go on new adventures, and conquer those peaks with shoes that perfectly fit your unique footprint.
Happy climbing dear climber!